Dr. Howard E. Hill, familiarly known as "Doc", moved to Belle Glade in 1936 when he was 4 years old. He graduated from Belle Glade High School in 1950, and obtained his undergraduate from University of Florida. Subsequently, he obtained his DVM from Auburn University in 1956. Dr. Hill practiced veterinary medicine from 1956 until 1975 when he decided to broaden his interest into sugar cane farming, building affordable rental housing, property development, and private financing for the Glades and Hendry County area.
He was a man of many trades for the real Western Palm Beach, Hendry and Glades Counties, but his roots were deep in the rich soil of Belle Glade. Towards the end of his life he became more involved in helping families obtain affordable housing and it was his intention that this should continue after his passing.
Dr. Hill left the bulk of his estate to The Howard E. Hill Foundation, Inc., with the primary goal of helping individuals who are classified as gainfully employed and have middle to low incomes in Western Palm Beach, Hendry and Glades Counties, obtain affordable housing. While the primary purpose of the foundation is geared toward housing, the foundation recognizes that a strong community supports the residents
It is also our goal to pair with other entities that will help sustain and grow our target areas.